Friday, August 5, 2011

The Marathon

The marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres (26 miles and 385 yards),[1] that is usually run as a road race. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon (the namesake of the race) to Athens.
From Wikipedia
            I feel like the past six weeks have been a marathon of knitting.  Linda and I have been knitting up a storm in July and August, preparing for the Fall Cpt Kyle Comfort Benefit Fashion Show at the Jacksonville Community Center on Sept 10 at 9:30-12:00.  We are designing new knitwear, which means that I have been doing a lot of knitting and taking out, and starting over the see what looks cool.  (Something I never thought I would have the heart or the will to do).  We have sweaters, shawls, scarves, hats and cowls in the works and they are impressive, if I may say so myself.  You have to come out to the Fashion Show and see them.
            I have found that when I wear something I have knitted, it usually elicits the response- "Wow that's gorgeous- where'd you get it?"  I love to say, I made it.  Or more often I say Linda knit it and it was too big for her so she gave it to me.  Isn't it wonderful!  I have learned that if I practice and relax my knitting muscles will become stronger and stronger.  Soon I will be knitting like Linda!
            So, back the marathon.  They say there is something very rewarding about a marathon.  In order to complete it, one must practice and grow progressively stronger.  When it comes to knitting, you begin with easy patterns and then challenge yourself with new stitches and more complicated techniques.  Linda, Susan and I try to teach classes that advance your skills.   In September Susan is teaching a pattern Linda wrote and knitted which we have put together with a shawl box.   The pattern will include simple lace patterns, combined with other techniques.  Linda is teaching a sleeveless vest/sweater with an inserted medallion.  It is stunning and looks complicated, but when broken down into individual parts it is easy to tackle with Linda's gifted teaching and encouragement.  I will be teaching a class which will use you bits and pieces of stash yarn to knit a beautiful caplet. 
            With Fall just around the corner (a refreshing thought with temperatures kissing 100 degrees) it is time to begin thinking about knitting Christmas gifts.  I have heard there are actually people who have all their gifts wrapped by October.  I can't imagine.... and where is the fun in that?  My mom always felt there was nothing more special than a hand made gift.  A loaf of bread, homemade jelly, a pair of knitted slippers, or a beautiful shawl or afghan.  Come see what Yarns HomePlace Farm is putting together for your holiday knitting.  Scarf boxes, shawl boxes and more are in the works.  We are busy dyeing Auburn and Alabama yarn for fall, and other striking color ways that are only limited by your imagination. 
            To bring this blog to an end, I wanted to share some of the past projects we have knitted up to inspire us all to begin training for our own marathons. 


Inspirations

No comments:

Post a Comment